The European Commission has today launched an invitation to EU regions and communities to join the EU Mission on Adaptation to Climate Change.
The Mission’s objective is to support 150 regions and communities to accelerate their transformation towards climate resilience by helping them understand, prepare for and manage climate-induced risks. Joining the Mission will put the regions and communities right at the forefront of innovation in Europe’s transition to becoming a more resilient continent. The EU Mission on Adaptation to Climate Change Mission contributes to putting the EU Adaptation Strategy in practice on the ground in EU regions and communities, as they are best placed to deploy tailor-made solutions that address their specific local climate vulnerabilities.
Why participate? Benefits for regions and communities
By signing up to the Charter and the tenets of the EU Mission on Adaptation to Climate Change, regions and communities will become part of a community of practice on adaptation to climate change, and have the opportunity to network and share with other regions and communities in Europe.
Signatories will also have access to the services of the Mission Implementation Platform, which will be operational in early 2023. These will comprise:
- Help with accessing knowledge and methods on climate risk assessments;
- Access to best practice examples from other regions and information on the latest research results;
- Support with linking these examples and research results with local adaptation plans, roadmaps or adaptation pathways;
- Access to tools, examples and best practices for interacting and engaging with citizens;
- Advice on possible public and private funding sources for adaptation.
How to participate
A survey is now available for regions and communities to express their interest in joining the Mission. Once the replies to the survey have been analysed, regions and communities that demonstrate commitment to adaptation will be invited to sign a Mission Charter.